The deadline for the 18th Annual Middle School Writing Contest is fast approaching.
The contest is sponsored each year by the Senior Literary Arts Class at George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology, and is open to all Baltimore County Public Schools students in Grades 6-8. Young writers are asked to submit their best and most polished works of poetry, short fiction, and creative nonfiction.
The contest rules are that:
- All submissions must be accompanied by a submission cover sheet (available online at http://www.bcps.org/students/pdf/MiddleSchoolWritingContest.pdf).
- Students may submit only one entry per genre and must include a separate cover sheet for each submission.
- All submissions must be in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and double-spaced.
- All works must have a title.
- Each page must be numbered and include the writer’s last name.
- Nonfiction entries must be a personal essay or memoir.
- No book reports or school papers may be submitted.
- Poetry must be no longer than 50 lines.
- Nonfiction and fiction must be no longer than 10 double-spaced pages.
The entry deadline is Friday, January 16, 2015, at 3 p.m. Winners will be notified in March and invited to attend a special award ceremony hosted by the contest sponsors, the Senior Literary Arts Class of 2015. Exciting prizes will be presented thanks to the support of the Carver Center Foundation.
All submissions must be sent by mail to:
Carver Center for Arts and Technology
c/o Suzanne Supplee
938 York Road
Towson, MD 21204
For more information, please contact Supplee at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-887-2775.