The Senior Literary Arts Class of George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology has announced the 22nd Annual Middle School Writing Contest – and the desire of the class to see submissions from all Baltimore County middle schools.
The deadline for entries is Friday, January 18, 2019. Winners will be notified in April and invited to attend a special award ceremony.
“Writing is incredibly close to all of our hearts,” the class wrote in a group letter, “and we would love to see more young people writing. Writing is a creative and productive way for students to safely explore and express their emotions without fear. As an art, it is intrinsically tied to progress, and we want students to have a way to voice their opinions and give them a chance to shape their own futures. This is why we host this competition.”
The contest is open to all Baltimore County Public Schools students in Grades 6 – 8. Young writers are asked to submit their best and most polished works of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and/or personal essay.
The contest rules are that:
- All submissions must be accompanied by the official submission cover sheet.
- Students must include a separate cover sheet for each submission.
- All submissions must be in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and double-spaced.
- All works must have a title. (Make it catchy, please!)
- Each page must be numbered.
- Poetry must be no longer than 50 lines.
- Personal essay, nonfiction, and fiction must be no longer than 10 double-spaced pages.
All submissions must be sent by mail to:
Carver Center for Arts and Technology
c/o Suzanne Supplee
938 York Road
Towson, MD 21204
For more information, please contact Supplee at email@example.com or 443-809-2775.